One of the best curries from Southern part of India. Made with coconut and poppy seeds, so delicious with rice or rotis.
Ingredients: Chicken boneless or with bones – 1.5 kg cut into medium pieces
White onions – 3 chopped
Green chillies – 2 to 3
Ginger- garlic paste – 3 tbsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp ( I made it as spicy curry, adjust this to suit your spice level)
Turmeric – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish
Water – 1 cup
Sunflower oil – 2 tbsp
Coconut & Poppy Seeds paste
Fresh or desiccated Coconut – 4 tbsp
Poppy seeds – 2 tbsp
Add 3 to 4 tbsp of water and grind to a smooth paste and keep aside.
Step by Step Method:
1. Take oil in a cast iron pan, add onions and green chillis. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes on low to medium heat for the onions to soften.
2. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 1 minute to get rid of raw smell again on medium heat. 3. Add tomatoes and fry for couple of minutes.
4. Lower the heat, add chilli powder, turmeric and salt. Mix everything well.
5. Add chicken and coat the chicken with the masala paste. Put a lid and cook the chicken in it’s own juices first for about 5 minutes before adding water.
6. Now add 1 cup of water, mix and put the lid back on. Cook for 15 minutes before adding the coconut & poppy seeds paste. Mix again and cook for 5 min(on slow heat ) or till oil starts separating on the top.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapatis.