Spices work so well with seafood and this is my favourite curry of all. Do give it a try and let me know in comments how the recipe is. Ever so simple and flavoursome curry.
King Prawns – shelled – 200 to 250g
Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tbsp
Red onion – 1 small or ½ medium sized one – finely chopped
Tomatoes – small to medium sized 1 roughly chopped
Green chillies – 1 depending on your spice level
Fresh coriander leaves chopped -1 to 2 tbsp
Coriander powder – ½ tsp
Garam Masala – ½ tsp
Red chilli powder -1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Fresh curry leaves – 1 sprig or if using dry curry leaves – 4 to 5
Sunflower oil – 2 tbsp
Tamarind extract – 2 to 3 tbsp (soak an inch piece of tamarind in warm water and extract the juice)
1. Add oil in a saucepan and when it’s hot add onions, green chillies and fry until the onions are soft. Add curry leaves and mix.
2. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute and then add tomatoes. Fry for 2 minutes or till tomatoes are soft.
3. Add chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Mix really well and simmer till oil starts separating again.
4. Now add prawns and tamarind juice. Mix well and keep a lid on the saucepan and cook for 6 to7 minutes on very low heat.
5. Once the prawns are cooked and oil starts separating, switch off and garnish with coriander leaves.
6. Serve hot with plain white rice or biryani.