How to make simple chicken curry or a Spicy Chicken Curry – South Indian Style.
I come from Andhra Pradesh, a beautiful state in India and this Andhra chicken curry is very famous.
This chicken curry recipe is always on the menu when I teach at cookery schools.
Recipe goes like this:
Chicken boneless or with bones – 1 kg cut into medium pieces
Red onions – 2 chopped
Green chillies – 2 to 3
Ginger- garlic paste – 2 tbsp
Chilli powder – 2 tsp ( I made it as spicy curry, adjust this to suit your spice level)
Turmeric – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves – 1 to 2 tbsp
Water – 1/2 cup
Coconut & Poppy Seeds paste:
Fresh or desiccated Coconut – 3 tbsp
Poppy seeds – 1 tbsp
Add 2 tbsp of water and grind to a smooth paste and keep it aside
Step by Step Method:
1. Take oil in a pan, add onions and green chillies. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes on low to medium heat for the onions to soften.
2. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 1 minute to get rid of raw smell again on medium heat.
3. Add tomatoes and fry for couple of minutes.
4. Lower the heat, add chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Mix everything well.
5. Add chicken and coat the chicken with the masala paste. Put a lid and cook the chicken in it’s own juices first for about 5 minutes before adding water.
6. Now add 1/2 cup of water, mix and put the lid back on. Cook for 5 minutes before adding the coconut & poppy seeds paste. Mix again and cook for 30 min(on slow heat )
7. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapatis.