Stuffed Brinjal Fry ( Gutti Vankaya ) the most famous vegetarian dish in Andhra.
If you have tasted the authentic fry then I am sure you must have been bowled over by the flavours. If you have not then this is a must try recipe.
8 small Brinjals ( Aubergines )
1/4 cup Tamarind Juice ( soak small lemon sized tamarind in warm water to extract juice)
4 tbsp Sunflower Oil
1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
2 Red Onions sliced
3 to garlic cloves sliced
2 to 3 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp Ghee
1 tsp grated Sugar
Salt to taste
1. Add 2 tbsp of sunflower oil to a frying pan. Then add garlic and cinnamon sticks. Fry for a minute.
2. Add sliced onions and cook on medium to slow heat till onions soften and are slightly golden brown. This will take around 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Grind them together once it’s cooled down to a smooth paste.
4. Now add chilli powder, sugar, coriander powder and salt. Mix all together.
5. Slice the Brinjal half way through as shown in the video and gently stuff the paste in.
6. In the sane frying pan, add rest of the oil and add the stuffed Brinjals and let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Gently turn them around and fry for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. Mix and put a lid and cook for 15 minutes. You can add ghee if you like at this stage.
7. Take the lid off, add tamarind juice, mix and cook for 5 minutes.
8. On low heat, fry the brinjals till the gravy thickens and oil starts separating. This will take around 6 to 7 minutes.
9. Serve hot with white rice.